Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Calar

Calar means to permeate and it is used in two ways. First, calar means to try or test something. Second, calar is used to express that something is bothering.

Example 1:

Carlos: ¿Ya calaste el bar de la esquina?
Raúl: Nel. Esta bien cariñoso.

Carlos: Have you checked out the bar at the corner?
Raúl: Nope. It's pricey.

Example 2:

Leonardo: La neta me caló muy cabrón que no me invitaras a tu fiesta.
Rebeca: Me vale verga.

Leonardo: I was utterly hurt because you did not invite me to your wedding.
Rebeca: I don't give a damn.

Every visitor to Mexico City debe calar street food, obviously at his or her own risk.



Note: do not confuse caló, the third-person past-tense of calar, and caló, as in slang, jargon. 

2 comments:

  1. Our watermelon vendors drive through the neighborhood yelling, "Llevela, llevela! Le damos su sandia calada!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. you get una probadita before you buy/or not your sandia

    ReplyDelete