Saturday, February 6, 2010

De a tiro, al tiro

De a tiro (thee-ah-TEE-roh) literally means "of shot". De a tiro typically precedes adjectives. It is used to emphasize a trait of a person or an attitude.

Al tiro (al-TEE-roh) literally means "at shot". Someone is said to be al tiro if that person is alert and ready, or on top of his or her game.

Cautionary note: It is very different to say de a tiro vs. de a tira, which means "police officer style", and the same happens with al tiro vs. al tira, which means "to the cop".

Example 1:

Benito: No me dí tinta de que me estaba echando lámina.
Gualberto: Estás de a tiro bien pendejo.

Benito: I did not realize she was hitting on me.
Gualberto: You're so fucking oblivious.

Example 2:

Pedro: Reinita, necesito que estés al tiro para la siguiente escena.
Penélope: Tu nomás dí rana.

Pedro: Princess, I need you to be ready for the next scene.
Penelope: I'm ready.

Pedro Almodóvar's movies are highly recommendable, but avoid picking up any expression that you hear in them. It can make you sound really silly if you use it in DF.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment